Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fallen Officer!!!





On Saturday November 1, 2008 I attended Fallen Officer Shane Figueroa’s Funeral. I went with the attitude of this is not going to be that hard to attend. I mean I didn’t know Shane at all. Well I was wrong. Upon the service starting my attitude quickly changed. The casket is draped with the American flag and is lead in by the Honor Guard, followed by the Squad mates of the Fallen Officer, and then the family of the Officer. The Family was Lead by Shane’s mom, dad, wife, 3-month-old daughter, and mother and father in-law. Yep that’s when it was all over for me.
There were several people that got up and shared about Shane. Phoenix Chief of Police spoke and said, "Shane has two families. He has his relatives and blood family, and he has his brothers and sisters that stand behind the badge with him that total over 3200. Both of these families love him and with forever miss him." Shane’s Sergeant spoke and said this quote "We were called to this job for a reason. We understand this calling and enjoy it, but our friends and family will never fully understand why we put our lives on the line for others."
While leaving the Service and heading to the grave side service I saw a picture of Shane with this quote bellow it. "What we do in life echo’s an eternity"
The grave side service consisted of folding the flag and presenting it to the wife, a 21 gun salute, a helicoptor fly over, and the final call.
I hope that I never have to attend another one of these funerals, but if another one on my brothers or sisters fall I will be there to help support the family and pay tribute to the Officer.
One Last Quote from the Sergeant.
On My Watch Tonight
By Mike Corrado
I come from an Island
In the Carolina sand
Where I was broke down,
Built up and reborn a fighting man
My blood runs red,
white and blue
I’ll brave the cold,
the rain, the pain
and the bullets
so you don’t have to
Don’t worry about me;
I’ll be all right
Just care for your children and sleep tight
I’ll keep you safe
on my watch tonight
It’s a long, long way from that island
And a long way from home
With the thought of you standing behind me
I could never be alone
There’s a promise
I need you to make
While I’m gone you take care of the love
And I’ll deal with the hate
Don’t worry about me;
I’ll be all right
Just care for your children and sleep tight
I’ll keep you safe
on my watch tonight
Don’t worry about me;
I’ll be all right
Just care for your children and sleep tight
I’ll keep you safe
on my watch tonight

3 comments:

Herrman's said...

At moments like this it reminds me more to thank our faithful Father for you and what you do for our family and our city!
love
Sarah

Anonymous said...

My heart fills with pride that you are our nephew and one that gives of himself for others. Your compassion is a testimony of the wonderful person you are.

Many thanks to all that serve our communites to keep us safe.

May God keep you in his care. With love....Aunt JoAnne and Uncle Ben

Anonymous said...

Dearest Dustin:
Nathan and I are so very proud of you and I agree with Sarah, this is a perfect time to tell you this. Thank you!!
I saw Michelle today at the bank and I am so excited that I will get to see her there most every week. We love you both and thank goodness for blogs to keep up with each other's lives!! Blessings from the Maples!